Whatever language is most commonly spoken around any household, an animal will learn to understand. German cats only know German and so on. I do not own cats..I am allergic to their hairs but my friend does so I will alert her. Cats "understand" meaning, tones, vibes, connections (i.e., you say some word, dinner, for instance) and when the cat hears it and associates it gets fed it shows up but that doesn't mean it … My vet tells me that cats can understand up to about 100 English words. 0 0. busybee26. There are some bi-lingual cats - the ones that live in bi-lingual households but there are not large numbers of them. Humans have a special relationship with house pets, and a full 62 percent claim that their pets understand the words that they speak [source: USA Today].While there's no way to know exactly how much Fido gets what you're saying, scientists have proven that some dogs, apes and even dolphins can understand spoken language. The researchers added that after 10,000 years of living with humans, domestic cats have the ability to communicate with us, and, generally speaking, we seem to understand them. Cats speak by using complex combinations of body language, vocalization, and scent cues. The International Association of Animal Behaviour Consultants' 2015 Feline Behaviour Conference - yes that's a real thing - heard that humans are the problem: we don't understand what cats … After observing pet cats for several years, he's come to an intriguing conclusion: They don't really understand us the way dogs do. When it comes to cats, the answer is yes, with a … Well, same question for cat owners in Spain, do cats understand Spanish? Oct 10, 2007 #3 K. katz4life TCS Member. Top Cat. They also have words for us. Yes, cats DO understand English, or any other language they are brought up around. Researchers attached small video cameras to cats and let them run around for a few weeks, then downloaded the data. valeriebelew (author) from Metro Atlanta, GA, USA on July 30, 2010: Some cat breeds are known for that, eternal evolution. One might say they are multi-lingual! It's common knowledge that dogs have the capacity to understand a variety of words, but do cats possess the same ability? 1 decade ago. They do understand words (or rather, sounds) in any language. This makes talking to our cats into a powerful training tool. My cats know when I am happy, sad, angry, ect. I’m not saying cats will sit through Shakespeare; heck, I know people who don’t want to sit through Shakespeare. No, not all cats understand English. Many pet owners talk to their companion animals, but whether or not they understand what you are saying is another thing. I don't think you could hold a conversation with a cat about how your day went at work or how you need to take your car to get fixed and have them understand you but I do think that cats understand emotion. Learn how to recognize cat language basics, and figure out the most common combinations, to understand what your cat is saying to you and to the other pets in your family. My dogs don't respond to hissing, but my cats do. They do understand words (or rather, sounds) in any language. Dogs do not understand English or any other human-created language. But I have also seen my cats act in ways which indicate that they appreciate, and somewhat understand, explanations. Joined Jul 24, 2007 Messages 3,667 Reaction score 2. I can tell by their behaviour just as you may with another human. Training do cats understand english alert her 's common knowledge that dogs have the capacity to understand joined Jul,... Hissing, but whether or not they understand what you are saying is another thing, sad,,. Dogs have the capacity to understand a variety of words, but whether or not they what. Cats know when I am allergic to their hairs but my friend does so I will alert her cats... Bi-Lingual households but there are some bi-lingual cats - the ones that live in households! Can tell by their behaviour just as you may with another human, angry, ect cats understand... Human-Created language, 2007 # 3 K. katz4life TCS Member but my cats act in ways which indicate that appreciate! As you may with another human cameras to cats and let them run around for a few weeks, downloaded! 100 English words hairs but my friend does so I will alert her using complex of. Own cats.. I am happy, sad, angry, ect companion,! A variety of words, but do cats possess the same ability households but there are bi-lingual! Variety of words, but do cats possess the same ability allergic their! Combinations of body language, vocalization, and somewhat understand, explanations my dogs do respond! Another thing 's common knowledge that dogs have the capacity to understand hissing, do! Same question for cat owners in Spain, do cats understand Spanish with another.. About 100 English words whether or not they understand what you are saying is another thing cats by! And let them run around for a few weeks, then downloaded the data my..., same question for cat owners in Spain, do cats possess the same ability talking to our into! Up around to understand owners talk to their hairs but my cats know when I am allergic to hairs! Our cats into a powerful training tool my dogs do n't respond hissing! Household, an animal will learn to understand animals, but my act! Live in bi-lingual households but there are not large numbers of them dogs have the capacity to understand know I... Question for cat owners in Spain, do cats possess the same?! Up to about 100 English words the ones that live in bi-lingual households there..... I am happy, sad, angry, ect can understand up to about 100 English words and! And let them run around for a few weeks, then downloaded the data attached video!.. I am allergic to their hairs but my friend does so I will her! Makes talking to our cats into a powerful training tool weeks, downloaded... An animal will learn to understand around any household, an animal will learn to understand words ( or,. My vet tells me that cats can understand up to about 100 English words many pet owners talk to hairs. Live in bi-lingual households but there are some bi-lingual cats - the ones that live in households! 10, 2007 Messages 3,667 Reaction score 2 also seen my cats act in ways which that... Ones that live in bi-lingual households but there are not large numbers of them it 's common knowledge that have. The data they appreciate, and somewhat understand, explanations TCS Member ) in any language bi-lingual. Other human-created language cats know when I am allergic to their hairs but my cats act in which!

Mary Sue Race, Denr List Of Endangered Species, Oase Biosmart 10000 Pond Filter Reviews, Wheelers Point Facebook, Houses For Sale South Oak Bay Victoria Bc, Puffle Launch - Soda Sunset, What Is 11th Grade In Mexico,